PDA

View Full Version : MudSill/Sole Plate Splicing

SurfLlama
02-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Hi Folks!

I had a question about bottom plate splicing, I know that they can't be under stud, but on my plans the bottom plate is a PT 3x6, that sits on a slab. So there isn't a subfloor (or plate) to nail the splice too. When we poured the slab we set the holddowns to accomodate a 16 foot length, and it was all approved by the inspector.

I started to think about the few spaces that the wall length is over 16 feet, and I wondered is the holddowns are sufficient to handle the splice. Is there a strap I should also use?

Thanks,
Matt

Dragon
02-18-2005, 05:08 AM
You can drill and use anchor bolts.

SurfLlama
02-18-2005, 10:58 AM
So that's all that's really required? I set the anchor bolts before the pour so that they would be within 6 inches of the splice.

Thanks!
Matt

bkrahmer
02-18-2005, 08:59 PM
If you want the house to stay on the foundation during a big typhoon or a tsunami, then you might add some hurricane straps. The caveat is that the rest of the house might not stay anyway. A house is pretty heavy. Most of them stay where they're built...

SurfLlama
02-22-2005, 10:56 AM
The number of holddowns is pretty absurd... along with the normal anchors there are about 20 SSTB holdowns...

Over engineered? Maybe... but it soothes my soul.