PDA

View Full Version : EXCAVATION RATES

Pokey
04-20-2005, 11:29 AM
I hope i'm posting this in the correct place. The foundation company i work for was just requested to start digging our own frostwalls for a company we do a lot of work for. We currently do no excavation, but are interested in finding out if it would be feasible for us to purchase a backhoe or mini excavator to produce this work.

My first question is how many lineal feet of trench can an average excavator dig in an hour? Basically we are trying to figure out what it would cost to dig a trench 24" wide x 36" deep by the lineal foot. In most cases this would be a strait run with at the most 6 corners in 50 to 60 feet. We have already calculated our haul and set up time and need dig time only. consider the soil conditions to be rather easy to dig in.

My second question is what is most people preference for equipment, A backhoe or a mini-excavator?

Thanks in advance for your advice

ezadmin
04-20-2005, 04:34 PM
I would personally go for the backhoe - if you aren't using it on your jobs enough you can always rent it out - if you have a decent operator. The one thing about excavating - you'll lose your butt on it if it's not busy everyday.
I would imagine you could easily get 30-40' / hr considering easy digging. Don't quote me on that actual production rate. There are typical production rates that the manufacturers can give you for a rough idea.

ezadmin
04-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Here's a site with some standard performance rates for hydraulic excavators:
http://www.hpcconsult.co.uk/educational_services/production_rates/excavation/excavationHydraulicExcavator.asp
SP = standard performance. What measure of time is I have no idea. .035 (hrs I'm assuming) for easy digging per cubic yard with a .5 cy bucket.

Pokey
04-21-2005, 05:58 AM
Thank you very much for your help Rich. luckily if we purchase this equipment we will be able to keep it relatively busy. We were basing our poduction on 15' per hour to account for the relatively small amount of digging we will be doing per trip. Sounds like a good #