PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Window Trim

CThomp
07-17-2006, 09:09 AM
I just put in two new Jeld-wen single hung windows. I'm needing to do the window trim now.

Does anyone know where I can find some diagrams for this? Are the corners generaly mitred or straight?

I'm planning on using Azek for the trim. That way I never ever have to paint it.

CThomp
07-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Nevermind...thanks James Hardie!!

Amazing that the James Hardie web page offers pretty much the only picture of exterior window trim.

New question:

For Hardie siding, do you guys prefer the siding to butt up to the trim or go under the trim?

I actually like the over the siding look. This way the trim is pushed out a bit beyond the window.

Cole
07-17-2006, 10:56 AM
I like the siding to butt into it. I think it gives it a cleaner look.

How are you cutting the fiber cement siding?

Please use shears, etc..

CThomp
07-17-2006, 11:02 AM
That was a question asked in the tools section. I'm thinking it will probably be a good investment even if I only ever use them on my house. Are shears that much faster?

Cole
07-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Not much faster but they produce no dust which is a great thing when you are working with fiber cement siding.

CThomp
07-18-2006, 04:18 AM
Good stuff. Too hot to wear respirators in Florida anyhow.

David
07-18-2006, 08:08 AM
The flush look is much nicer, IMHO. My trim overlaps the siding and my friends' house has the flush look. I like theirs better.

CThomp
07-20-2006, 12:26 PM
What do you guys think about raised window trim? It would mean that I would have to stack another board on top of the one fitted into the window edge but would it look good?

Cole
07-20-2006, 02:08 PM
I have never seen it.

It will probably make your windows pop out more.

Basically, it will give you the look you like with the trim over the siding.

CThomp
07-21-2006, 04:57 AM
I was thinking of the raised window trim mainly just so the window would be recessed in the opening. Kind of like how a window in a block house is slightly recessed. This would allow me more options with storm shutters I think. I think if all the lines are caulked and painted noone would be able to tell any difference.

tooltroll
07-21-2006, 02:44 PM
I can't think of any reason why you couldn't make the trim as thick as you want (within reason. . . a few inches, say.) It's making me re-think the trim on my place (Great! Now I've gotta go a do a bunch more research! ;))

CThomp
07-24-2006, 09:39 AM
The lip on the exterior side of the windows allows for a 5/8 (I think) piece of trim to be fitted neatly in place. This will actually make for ridiculously simple installation. I could use a smooth finish trim piece for the first board and then mount a second piece of the 5/8 on top of that. So my entire thickness would really be like an 1.25"? Thats not much. The hardi planks are 5/16" so the exposed trim work would be less than 1". It would add to the cost though.

David
07-24-2006, 04:07 PM
That would make for a flush look, since the 5/16 lap to make a 5/8 thickness. So go flush. :lol:

HarmsWay
07-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Couldn't find anything on the Hardie site but here's a few pics from LP (SmartSide trim).

http://www.lpcorp.com/lpsidingproducts/lpsmartside/productinformation/designideas/trimideas.aspx

CThomp
07-27-2006, 05:06 AM
It turns out i think i'm going to need 3/4" trim. Not really that big of a deal. I'm definitely going with the narrow trim look. But I'm still debating if I want to make it thick to give the window a recessed look. The good news is that I can always do the first layer and take a step back to see how I feel about it.

David
07-27-2006, 07:41 AM
In a year from now, I don't think you'll notice the difference of either choice. :)

CThomp
07-27-2006, 07:42 AM
I bet you're right.

HarmsWay
08-03-2006, 08:59 AM
I also have a few JeldWen windows installed and I'm preparing to trim out. I finally found the page on the Hardie site - figure 9 in the link below:

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/installation/harditrim_installation.php

That style is what I had in mind, but almost everyone around here puts a sill on as well. When I pointed that out to my wife, she wanted one too. I've done a few dozen searches and followed hundreads of links trying to find out how that would be put together but no luck. You guys have certainly seen a million of these up close, so I appologize for yet another dumb question. I'm guessing it goes together something like the pic below? Since the sill is wider than the vertical trim pieces I suppose the sill could be attached after the siding? Maybe nail and glue the sill to the top of the bottom trim and install as one piece? Thanks.